Friday, May 30, 2008

Taking the Summer Off

Sorry everyone, but I've decided to take the summer off from cooking. Its the season for BBQ and salad, not soups and stews! Plus I'm far too busy in the summer riding my bike and having fun outdoors to cook.

Let me know if you'd like some vegan recipes. I'd be happy to provide a favourite recipe or recommend good websites and cookbooks.

I will leave you with an awesome summertime recipe, perfect tempeh burgers from Vegan Dad that you can throw on the BBQ. I just made them and they are wonderful!

Here's the recipe as posted on his blog. I cooked mine 4 minutes on low each side, then threw them in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes to make sure they were cooked inside. You could also just toss them on the BBQ - but be careful they don't burn! Oh and I also liquid smoke to these. Its a nice addition.

INGREDIENTS
- 1 8.5 oz pkg tempeh, coarsely grated (If you find tempeh has a "taste," simmer it in boiling water for 10 mins to cut down on the bitterness. Cool before grating)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten [Tanya's note: can be found at the Bulk Barn in flour section or Loblaws in the Healthy Section]
- 2 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp HP sauce [Tanya's note: I used BBQ sauce instead]
- 1/4 tsp browning sauce (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp water
- oil for frying

METHOD
1. Mix grated tempeh, bread crumbs, flour, and spices in a bowl. Add in soy sauce, HP sauce, and enough water to make a firm yet pliable dough. Knead for a few mins to mix everything well.
2. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape into patties by pressing into a metal ring.
3. Cook in a thin layer of oil on med-lo heat for about 5 mins per side. The trick is to make thin patties and to fry them low enough to cook them through before burning the outside.

Hope everyone has a wonderful summer!

No comments: